- Hits: 692
York River District Clergy Association (YRDCA)
The Purpose of the YRDCA is to facilitate the connectional support and mutual care among the entire York River District Clergy Community.
- Note the emphasis on facilitating instead of forcing.
- Typically, this will be done by providing opportunities for worship, fellowship, prayer, through peer learning groups and large group gatherings.
- The Clergy Community includes active, retired, and on-leave clergy residing in this district and to some degree their families as well.
What does the YRDCA do?
- Welcome Picnic
- Subsidizes for all and provides a welcome meal for new to the district clergy and their family
- Gatherings and Clergy Retreats
- Subsidizes the event in addition to providing refreshments
- Clergy Farewell Event
- Gift Cards to those retiring or moving
- Subsidizes the event
Supports and is intentional in the care of our brother and sister clergy. The Clergy Association provides a financial gift in the following circumstances:
- Death of a family member, parent or in-law
- Birth of Child (within appointed clergy family)
- Clergy Major Health Crisis (Hospitalized for major illness or surgery versus Outpatient)
In addition, we have established a Chaplain Team to support clergy in the time of crisis or need.
2017 YRDCA Servant Leader Positions and Responsibilities
Coordinator – Facilitate servant leader meetings
Program Lead – Communicates with venues and facilitate setup for gatherings
Treasurer – Finances and cards for gifts
Secretary – Records and distributes meeting notes
Chaplain Coordinator – Upon request by the District Superintendent, the Chaplain Coordinator facilitates / assigns District Chaplains to members of the YRD Clergy Community in need of pastoral care.
- Hits: 506
This Year’s Clergy Gatherings
PURPOSE: To be further equipped to provide positive leadership in the midst of “times like these.”
We began this overarching purpose last year and spent much time gathered around tables in conversation and learning. We named “times like these” to be the complex times we see for the future of the Church, our denomination, and our world situation. Our topics have been selected by clergy. We will be continuing this work together in this new annual conference year.
DATES AND TIMES FOR CLERGY GATHERINGS
Unless otherwise noted, all will be held at Bethany UMC (Hampton). Fellowship begins at 9am, worship/discussion/activity begins at 9:30am. We begin with worship and conclude with communion.
We ask that you arrive at least 10 minutes early to allow for sign-in and for a prompt start at 9:30am.
- Tuesday, September 19th
- Thursday, November 2nd
- Thursday, January 18th
- Tuesday, Feb. 6th – Thursday, Feb. 8th – Clergy Retreat (tentatively Williamsburg) 2-3 day event with option for overnight stay or commute to retreat center. More info in the fall.
- Tuesday, April 10th
- Tuesday, June 5th, 10am - Clergy Farewell Worship and Lunch at Crooks Memorial UMC
OUR SEPTEMBER 19TH GATHERING
Purpose: To be further equipped to provide positive leadership in the midst of “times like these.”
Topic: Per the input from YRDCA clergy, our initial topic for the year will be related to human sexuality. A question for us all is “How will we lead our congregations to continue to engage in ministry and mission before and after General Conference 2019?” It is strongly encouraged that all local churches engage in conversation and dialogue to prepare for decisions made in 2019. Thus, we will work together through our initial gatherings to explore preparing our congregations by first having the conversations among ourselves.
Goal for Sept. 19th: Enhance awareness and being equipped for the conversations through the exposure of several resources and our discussion. We will have video, study, process/conversation guides, and more available for review and take-away. We will also share and discuss how best to proceed together.